Site logo

Taxes For Canadian Businesses in Nebraska

April 8, 2021


What state taxes does a Canadian business pay in Nebraska?


Sales Tax

The Nebraska state sales tax rate is 5.5%. Depending on local municipalities, the total tax rate can be as high as 8%. Food and prescription drugs are exempt.

Use Tax

The Nebraska state use tax rate is 5.5%.

Unemployment Insurance (Payroll Tax)

If you have employees working in Nebraska, you must pay unemployment taxes on their gross wages up to the taxable wage base. As of 2020, the tax rate ranges from 0-5.4% (depending on your experience rating) on the first $9,000 in wages paid to each employee in a calendar year. The tax rate for new employers is 1.25%.

Withholding (Payroll Tax)

If you have an employee earning income while in Nebraska, you must withhold a certain percentage of their income from each payroll. The amount of tax you withhold from an employee depends on the length of your pay period, the employee’s gross pay and the number of withholding allowances/exemptions claimed on their W-4.

Corporate Income Tax

There are two rates of corporate income tax, 5.58% and 7.81%. The higher rate is for all corporate income greater than $100,000.


If you remain under certain thresholds in this state, you are not responsible for taxes.

Sales$100,000 or 200 separate transactions

Availability of Treaty Benefits

Use taxes are often treated as income taxes by the Canadian government when calculating income in Canada and applying for foreign tax credits. Meaning, if you pay use tax in the USA but have no net profit, you will not benefit from a tax credit theoretically. The actual application is a bit more complex.

Income taxes in the USA are almost always treated as income taxes by the Canadian government. Thus, in the majority of cases, if you pay tax in the state, you don’t pay tax again in Canada unless the Canadian rate is higher.

If you would like more information on this topic, please contact a member of the Empire CPA team by filling out the contact form below.

Canadian and foreign tax laws are complex and have a tendency to change on a frequent basis. As such, the content published above is believed to be accurate as of the date of this post. Before implementing any tax planning, please seek professional advice from a qualified tax professional. Empire, Chartered Professional Accountants will not accept any liability for any tax ramifications that may result from acting based on the information contained above.

Share this post

Related posts