Site logo

Capital Cost Allowance for Real Estate

April 17, 2018

Tax Question:

What tax issues arise with capital cost allowance related to real estate?


Capital cost allowance (CCA) is the tax term in Canada for the deduction of amortization on capital assets. There are separate classes of CCA for property, plant and equipment and different rates that apply to each class. There are some specific rules for claiming capital cost allowance related to real estate.


Once construction is complete, a building can be sold as inventory and earn business income, used to earn property income, or used to operate an active business. If the building is not being sold, then it will generally become depreciable property for the corporation. In order to be classified as depreciable property, the building must meet the following conditions:

  • It must not be included as inventory
  • It must be available for use
  • It cannot include land
  • It must be acquired for purpose of gaining or producing income

A building becomes available for use earlier than when construction of the building becomes complete or when substantially all of the building (90% or more) is used by the taxpayer for the intended purpose.

For tax purposes, Class 1 includes most buildings acquired after 1987 and has a CCA rate of 4%. If the non-residential building was acquired after March 18, 2007, and used in Canada to manufacture or process goods for sale or lease, it is eligible for an additional allowance of 6% for a total of 10%. The CCA rate for other non-residential buildings includes an additional allowance of 2% for a total of 6%. To be eligible for the additional allowances, you must elect to put the building in a separate class. A general rule is that rental properties with a capital cost of $50,000 must be entered into a separate class for CCA.

A taxpayer is not eligible to claim CCA on a rental property where it would increase the loss. However, once all other deductible costs are claimed, you can still claim enough CCA to bring net income to zero for the rental property. All property income and expenses from various rental properties are aggregated together to determine if any CCA can be claimed. For example, if one rental property has a net income of $2,000 and a second rental property has a loss of $1,000 then the combined net income is $1,000 and only $1,000 of CCA can be claimed in total.

If you would like more information on this topic, please contact a member of the Empire CPA team by filling out the contact form below.

Canadian and foreign tax laws are complex and have a tendency to change on a frequent basis. As such, the content published above is believed to be accurate as of the date of this post. Before implementing any tax planning, please seek professional advice from a qualified tax professional. Empire, Chartered Professional Accountants will not accept any liability for any tax ramifications that may result from acting based on the information contained above.

Share this post

Related posts

Price and Valuation

Price and Valuation November 29, 2022 Question: When selling a business, how do you determine the actual price? Facts: Every business owner has contemplated when

Read More »